Although it may not always seem like it, your kids care about what you think! Studies have shown that teens do listen to parents; substance use is significantly lower among teens who believe their parents strongly disapprove of substance use. One of the best ways to prevent substance use among your kids is to educate yourself and then pass that education on to your children.
Keep the conversation going! The earlier an individual starts smoking, drinking or using other drugs, the greater the likelihood of developing addiction.
- 9 out of 10 people who abuse or are addicted to nicotine, alcohol or other drugs began using these substances before they were 18.
- People who began using addictive substances before age 15 are nearly 7 times likelier to develop a substance problem than those who delay first use until age 21 or older.
- Every year that substance use is delayed during the period of adolescent brain development, the risk of addiction and substance abuse decreases.
Teens & Substance Use
- Get Smart About Drugs
- Glenbard Parent Series - The Glenbard Parent Series engages top experts, parents and school staff to become proactive and informed in pursuit of the mutual goal to strengthen our communities. Programs are free and open to the public.
- How do I know if my child is using?- The Partnership at DrugFree.org provides information on warning signs, behavior changes and tips on how to take action.
- Illinois Youth Survey Results
- Keeping Youth Drug-Free offers advice on keeping children substance free. Review statistics about adolescent substance use, and learn tips on good communication.
- OnBalance Parenting: On Balance Parenting supports parents, caregivers and communities in raising joyful, competent and resilient people who lead whole-hearted & balanced lives.
- Parental Guide-Drug Facts and Getting the Conversation Started (PDF)
- Positive Alternatives Podcast: Positive Alternatives is a podcast for parents and teens intended to inform, share real life stories, and initiate conversations in the family regarding underage drinking and drug use. The podcast is hosted by Doug Petit who has spoken to well over 100,000 parents and teens about the perils of poor choices when it comes to alcohol and drugs.
- Stay out of My Room!: A teen’s mock bedroom to show parents possible warning signs their teens is concealing drug use.
- SPANISH RESOURCES